Saturday, December 19, 2009

What the Hell is Wrong With Me?

Why am I blogging, you ask? Well, here the thing; most of you know that I spent the majority of this past year writing my little heart out. I wrote two novels and about a million short stories.

Back in August I had a meeting with a successful author who saw a lot of potential in my work, and gave me some recommendations on how I could improve a novel that I was working on. I left the meeting with a clear head, and a solid plan. I was enthusiastic, and excited.

Here's what went wrong. The same week that I met with this guy, the lease on our Caravan ended, and we bought the vehicle. Technically the ownership changed hands, so we needed to have the thing certified. We took it to a guy who my Mother-in-law recommended, a guy who manages to hold the monopoly on the Sandy Cove market because he works dirt cheap. The catch is you have to wait forever, he's slow as freaking molasses.

He told us it would take about an hour for our inspection, so we crossed the street and sat at Tim Hortons while we waited. An hour later we returned to find that he had bumped us in favour of a family traveling from Quebec, who had a flat tire.

There is a point here, and I'm getting to it now.

In the end, it took this ass all day to finish the certification on our vehicle, and I missed a crucial day of work on my novel. I haven't touched the effing thing since. Why haven't I touched it since? I don't know. Do I blame the car inspector guy for my lack of interest/ability to finish my novel? Yes I do. Is it really his fault? Probably not, but I'm childish enough to blame him.

I'm not complaining. I have a lot of other things going on in my life, and I accomplished TONS in 2009, both with my writing and in other areas. However, I'd love to be able to finish the work that I have started. It seems a shame to waste it.

So, I'm going to try blogging. I'm hoping that if I push myself to write a blog every day, I'll be able to write fiction again. It's worth a try.

It doesn't really matter to me whether or not anyone decides to read it, but if anyone does, please let me know your thoughts on...well, on whatever I've written. Actually, I take that back. I want people to read it, because that would make the entire exercise much less pointless than it will be if I'm just throwing my thoughts out into cyber space. And I'd love to hear from people.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment