Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Scrooge?

I'm watching the old Scrooge movie with Alastair Sim, and I'm wondering what the actual title is. Starchoice says it's called A Christmas Carol, while the title on the screen said Scrooge. Meanwhile, I have this one on DVD, and the case says A Christmas Carol. I have to assume that the title that actually appeared in the film must be the correct one, but it seems odd that both Starchoice and the DVD case are wrong. Does it matter? Of course not!

I think this may be the greatest story ever told, but I also think that Scrooge has a bad reputation that he doesn't necessary deserve. That's not to say that he was a nice man, but I think the whole point can be summed up with a bit of dialogue from the beginning of the story.

When the two men collecting for the poor arrive at Scrooges place of business to ask for money, Scrooge says: "Are there no prisons? And the union workhouses, are they still in order, then?"

I don't remember the rest of the dialogue, but he indicates that he does indeed support the charities he had mentioned, and that those in need must inquire to those charities. In other words, he doesn't give money to any Joe who comes in off the street asking for it. I think that's fair.

Again, he's no saint, of course. But I don't think Charles Dickens gave us enough evidence to support the claim that Scrooge was a true bastard. I don't think anyone would claim that hard work makes a bad person. And there truly is no law that forces a person to love Christmas.

Still a great story, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment