Monday, February 15, 2010

Drives me Freaking Nuts!

I've finally found the single thing that pisses me off more than anything else on the planet. It might sound like a silly, petty complaint, but I just can't tolerate this anymore, and I'm forced to sever all ties with anyone and everyone who does this. Are you ready for it?

I hate it when people (adults, specifically) refer to the fourteenth of February as "Valentimes Day." I know that it's ridiculous that I'm complaining about something so insignificant - and, of course, that I'm a total bitch for writing about this, because many of my friends and acquaintances are guilty of this common mispronunciation - but it never ceases to amaze me just how many people I encounter each year who mispronounce the word.

People, this inane, over commercialized day is actually called "Valentines Day" and not "Valentimes Day." Why does it seem as though at least fifty percent of the English speaking population does not understand this? Have these people never seen the word spelled on a piece of paper or a calendar? Have they never received a card with the word printed, V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E! Or do people simply not pay attention?

If you've got a minute, google "Valentimes," and shake your head at the insanely high number of results.

No comments:

Post a Comment